Walk-ins welcome. To make an appointment, go to http://tinyurl.com/GiveBloodNJBS and enter sponsor code 68743.
Every day, hospitals throughout the United States transfuse blood or blood components, such as platelets, to save the lives of people who are in motor vehicle accidents, and victims of fires and other emergencies.
Blood is also required for many people with life-threatening illnesses and others undergoing routine surgeries. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 5 million patients receive blood annually.
In fact, every two seconds, someone in America needs blood, according to the American Red Cross (ARC). This may include:
- cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy
- people with sickle cell disease or other types of inherited anemia
- organ transplant recipients
- people undergoing elective surgery
- women during and following labor and delivery
- premature babies
- trauma victims.
Blood products from healthy donors are often lifesaving or life enhancing.
Sponsored by New York Blood Center