Resources Recommended by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)


Dental Schools and Dental Hygiene Schools:

Community Health Centers

Medicaid and CHIP

  • Medicaid is a state-run program that provides medical benefits and in some cases dental benefits to eligible individuals and families. States are required to provide dental benefits for children covered by Medicaid, but can choose whether to provide dental benefits to adults.

  • CHIP is a state-run program for children whose families earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but can't afford private insurance. Children covered by CHIP can receive dental services up to age 19. You can use the Find a Dentist search to find a dentist who accepts Medicaid or CHIP, or call 1-877-543-7669 to find children's dental care programs.


  • Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people 65+ and for people under 65 with specific disabilities. However, it only covers dental services related to certain medical conditions or treatments - it does not cover dentures or routine care. Visit Medicare Dental Services or call 1-800-633-4227 for more information.

Clinical Trials

  • NIDCR sometimes seeks volunteers with specific dental, oral, and craniofacial conditions to participate in clinical trials. Researchers may provide study participants with limited free or low-cost dental treatment for the particular condition they are studying. To learn more about clinical trials, visit the NIDCR web site

United Way

  • The United Way may be able to direct you to free or reduced-cost dental services in your community.


If you have questions or need additional information, you can contact the NIDCR's National Oral Health Information Clearinghouse at 1-866-232-4528 or email

Provider Type