Building and Boosting the Immune System
How to Help Your Immune System
- Eat a healthy diet. Read about healthy eating.
- Make time for physical activity. Experts recommend that adults get at least two and a half hours of moderate exercise each week. Find tips for getting more activity.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Learn more about weight control.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Most adults need at least seven hours or more of sleep each night, and kids and teens need even more.
- Quit smoking. Get free help at smokefree.gov, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669), or text QUIT to 47848.
- Manage stress. See stress reduction tips.
- Limit drinking alcohol. Learn more about alcohol’s effects on health.
- Wash your hands often to avoid getting sick. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Stay up to date with the recommended vaccines. See the CDC’s website(link is external).
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2023, January 3). Your body's disease defenses. National Institutes of Health. Retrieved January 3, 2023, from https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2023/01/your-bodys-disease-defenses